Greater Purpose and Core Values:
Athletico’s Greater Purpose is to empower people, inspire hope and transform lives. We accomplish this by providing exceptional, progressive, and cost-effective fitness, performance and rehabilitative services through personalized care that emphasizes education and prevention of future injury. This is accomplished through building on our Core Values of one team, understanding our business, recognition, people-focused, accountability, continuous innovation and trust and integrity, which are the foundation for our unique culture.
The Territory Market Development Manager (TMDM) plays a critical leadership role in building the Athletico Brand presence and driving overall health of a designated territory as measured by revenue and new patient growth.
- Be a key business partner to VPCO focused on growth, specifically new patient acquisition; act as a single point of accountability for prioritization, planning and execution of activities across channels – direct access, physician referrals, work comp, AT – that are key sources of new patients
- Links scorecards and business results to development of on-going 90 / 180 day business planning, inclusive of Work Comp and Commercial plans
- Works in close partnership with VPCO to establish territory strategies, priorities and plans for growth, including the deployment of resources against key activities that drive new patient referrals
- KPIs will be related to topline business performance where the market development resources can have the biggest impact – new patient growth, direct access patient growth, free assessment volume, new physician referrals, work comp
This is a ‘player / coach’ role. The person in this role will have direct responsibility for planning and executing activities that impact new patient referrals but will also oversee and guide individual Market Development Managers (Commercial, Work Comp and Hybrid roles). They will also partner with their respective VPCOs to hire, train, develop and maintain key talent in the territory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
New Patient Goal Setting, Activity Planning & Measurement:
- Partner with VPCOs, RMs, Finance & Marketing Business Partners (MBPs) to establish new patient goals (Work Comp & Commercial) for territory, tied to Athletico goals
- Lead the consolidation of on-going 90 / 180 day relationship building and activity planning - inclusive of Work Comp, AT, Clinician and MDM-led activities - based on local market needs and opportunities
- Review key scorecards on a regular basis, with core focus on new patient volumes by segment (direct, referral, work comp, etc)
- Use analytics to identify where region is on / off track and recommend actions and guide relationship building strategies; identify incremental activities or course correction as needed based on new patient results.
- Take a leadership role in the relationship building planning and community activation for new clinic openings in assigned territory in partnership with Operations, MBP’s, Work Comp and Athletic Trainers
- Communicate regularly with RMs and consolidates needs for Resource Center support, providing MBPs with feedback received from operations partners.
- Collect and communicate market intelligence and competitive activity as it relates to potential impact on new patient acquisition to field leadership
- Regularly visits to clinic within driving distance, quarterly to remote location. Travel schedule to be aligned with VPCOs & RMs
- Work closely with Operations to create plan and maximize ticket/hospitality opportunities within affiliate contracts
Brand Awareness & Direct Access Patient Development:
- Create and maintain a regional stakeholder map based on local market knowledge that prioritizes key community partners (e.g. Chamber of Commerce, running clubs, schools, fitness centers, churches, etc) that are relevant to building and maintaining brand awareness and new patient acquisition; refresh on a biannual basis
- Own development of hyper local community engagement plans working with VPCOs, RMs, FMs, ATs and MBPs to ensure alignment with local market needs, strategies, goals and inclusion in the 90-day plans
- Working with Marketing Business Partners, amplify and supplement ‘global’ media plans for local market - identify, plan and execute opportunities to drive awareness and uptake of free assessments through community educational and outreach events; leveraging clinicians and ATs to execute at scale
- Maintain relationship management database, which includes details on activation opportunities, key contacts and estimated audience reach
- Act as brand ambassador for Athletico at community and business events; be responsible for training, scheduling and managing other Athletico personnel who attend event to ensure strong brand representation
- Route local sponsorship applications to appropriate field leadership and MBP for review/approval of activation. Partner with MBP’s on marketing assets needed for event needs.
- Manage community event logistics including pre-event planning, staff scheduling, item ordering through online marketing store, event set-up, on-site management, and break-down
- Track and stay within clinic budget; delivers timely event recaps with clear point of view and assessment on overall value, impact and future repetition
- Work closely with MBPs to identify and scale new ideas for community engagement, including creation of best practices and communication with other MDMs and business partners
- Find opportunities to highlight local community initiatives via grass roots efforts with personal social media networks (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Create and foster relationships with local media outlets; identify PR opportunities and funnel back to Resource Center for evaluation and potential activation
- Own relationship building with non-orthopedic physicians (e.g. PCPs, OB GYN, Pediatricians); be accountable for new patient volume from these referral sources
- Own relationship building with orthopedic physicians key office personnel – front desk, office managers, case managers, discharge managers, etc. – in key practices that drive significant referral volume
- With VPCO, develops market-specific action plans to identify new referral source opportunities; conducts daily calls and visits to appropriate personnel in physician offices (front office, discharge planners, case managers, etc), hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and skilled nursing facilities.
- Enable introductions between new referral sources and key clinicians, as well as, new clinicians to existing referral sources to ensure a smooth “hand-off” which contributes to the overall success of physician referral efforts
- Leads planning and execution of in-service training and programs for to support clinician relationship building with key referral sources – referral lunches & meetings, webinars, virtual events, lectures in the community, Athletico University
- Maintains updated, ‘clean’ de-duped referral database, quarterly
- Assist in execution of Relationship Building formal training sessions for Athletico personnel; evolve training to extend beyond patient visits
- Working closely with Work Comp Product leader, research individuals, companies, industries, competitors, and trends to identify new business opportunities in Work Comp for territory
- Identify and source new leads and follow up from initial call to implementation with Work Comp Product leader - create viable new business opportunities via coordinated meetings with Work Comp prospects and referral sources to increase referral volume
- In partnership with Marketing, identify and execute marketing opportunities to increase visibility and develop new leads with the target audience including sponsorships, exhibit booths, writing opportunities, presentations/speaking engagements, internal and external events, and conferences
- Manage and/or maintain database for target audiences (employers, case managers, TPA’s, Carriers, Attorneys, WC physicians) and enter contacts in Salesforce
- Serve as account/relationship manager for existing accounts for Work Comp referral sources, developing and maintaining relationships to drive new patient referrals
Specialty Programs & Services - Promotion & Activation:
- Partner with Specialty Program Coordinators to develop goals and action plans for new patient development in specific market area; revisit and update quarterly
- Identify key referral sources and enable relationship building with specialty clinicians or to provide education on new service lines
- Enable strong launch of new service lines by partnering with VPCOs, RMs, MBPs and Program Managers & Coordinators to develop go to market plans (e.g. home therapy)
- Proactively identify, evaluation and implement local partnership opportunities that are relevant to a program specialty (e.g. mom groups and women’s health / pediatrics, COVID-19 rehab and local fire/police departments) based on audience reach, quality of impressions, storytelling opportunities, etc.
- Work with RSMs to train Athletico office personnel to accurately capture specialty program referrals and program uptake in clinic
- Develop and implement follow-up and pull-through strategies (i.e., Lunch and Learns) with current and prospective Work Comp clients
Education and Experience:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or a related field required, or equivalent work experience
- Ten or more years of experience in both sales and management, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Working knowledge of outpatient medical care required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated concern for satisfying internal and external customers
- Ability to coach others to instill a sense of responsibility, using ownership as a way to empower people towards greater results
- Ability to seek and evaluate employee feedback.
- Ability to empower and strengthen the team, delegating authority with the intent of enabling the team to work effectively without direct management
- Proven success in initiating, promoting and maintaining strong physician relationships
- Demonstrated skill with developing long-term strategic plans and lead/participate in short-term operational implementation (ability to be both strategic and tactical)
- Ability to motivate, develop, and mentor staff in order to optimize their accountability
- Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Specific vision requirements include the ability to see at close range, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear
- Possess the ability to fulfill any office activities normally expected in an office setting, to include, but not limited to: remaining seated for periods of time to perform computer based work, participating in filing activity, lifting and carrying office supplies (paper reams, mail, etc.)
- Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to feel, and reach with hand and arms
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20-25 pounds
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding)
- Some travel required
- Some weekend and after business hours work requirements may be required three to six times a year
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Internal office
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low
Athletico provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.